Tuesday, September 23, 2008

some positive thoughts, please?


I will be interviewed for the second time Thursday for a "real job."

Up to now, age 34, I have had other jobs (host and dishwasher at Frisches Big Boy, foodrunner at Ponderosa Steakhouse, server at the Hyatt Regency, bartender at Fridays and Gary’s Westsider, a clerk at a record store) where I worked really hard for little money, and really didn’t enjoy my job.

Then, I went back to school and have since then had more "meaningful" jobs, such as firefighter/EMT, graduate research/teaching assistant, adjunct instructor. These jobs still require a lot of work for little money, but I really enjoy it.

Now, I have the opportunity to really do what I am passionate about for decent money!!!! I have applied for the Director of Academic/Community Partnerships at the University of Cincinnati, and against all odds, I have made it down to the final two (out of 22 candidates). Getting this position would require a lot of work, but work I am passionate about, …and for decent money (approx. 3 times the amount I make now). 

For the first time in my life, I might get a business card with my name on it. (As if that's important, right?)

I went into the selection process assuming that I would not get the gig, but a part of me is starting to believe that have a shot, and I am throwing this out here because I believe in positive thoughts.

My hope is that you may read this and send me some Thursday.  I'd be happy to return the favor.

Someone from Cincinnati asked me in the office today: "Where has the recycling fairy been?"

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mike,

Stu & I are so PROUD of you! We wish you only the best in your career, & pray that it is everything that you hoped for.

Anonymous said...

May God Bless you today and always in your Journey through life.

Gina Kay

Anonymous said...

He who walks with the wise grows wise, but a companion of fools suffers harm.

Anonymous said...

What lies behind us & what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Liz said...

Take it from a lawyer-business cards are where it's at. Good luck!

inverted banana dancer said...

I love business cards! I am really good at scribbling out the names of my predecessors and making it look like they were all hand made.

Does luck play a part in this? Hardly. Luck has not propelled you to where you are today. What a wonderful journey it will continue to be.