Sunday, September 28, 2008

Risk?


I disagree with George Khoury on virtually 99% of all things religious, cultural, and political. We have been dancing the dance of diatribe since close to the beginning of the Iraq War, the sequel. We couldn’t be more at odds when it comes to philosophies about the cultural world, but I have never been more proud of him than I am today.

George has the courage to follow his heart. He will be teaching English in South Korea for the next several months. It should be noted that George left a very good paying job at Fifth Third Bank to attain a Masters degree in Communication at UC, and now he is travelling again. And it should also be noted that George had an offer to continue his education (PhD in Communication) at a pretty good school, but he turned it down (for now) in order to do work abroad.

He wants to serve others, and he believes in not allowing the fear of risk to get in his way.

I have asked him to keep me updated on his journey, and I will surely pass along anything interesting.

Someone in Cincinnati asked me three questions today: 1) What is your ultimate? 2) Do you have relationships where you are controlling and manipulative? 3) When was the last time you took a risk for God?

6 comments:

DanThoms said...

Hmmm, I wonder who asked you those questions? That's awesome though, stepping out and taking risks makes life worth living.

Unknown said...

Hey! Thanks for leaving a note. Is that Kenneth Burke as your picture!?!? Love it.

Good for George. Once you know what you want to do, you should go at it with full force. The problem - at least for me - is figuring out what you want to do. I can only hope & pray that someday I will find something I'm as passionate about as George.

Anonymous said...

I agree with you Meg, I am 44 years old & have a succesful career with Chase Bank, but the problem for me as well is I have yet to really find out what I am passionate about, I hope and pray someday I will.

the sociotoastuhh said...

Thanks Mike...that was a fun and flattering read. And while speaking in such terms, what was truly hard to leave behind for awhile are my girlfriend, family, friends (no matter how polar they maybe), and dog...you know? All the rest is a distant whatever. And the Bengals...a dead f'n last! Lets start a "replace Mike Brown" blog..? Love ya.

Michael Joseph Sharp said...

Dan, yes, ...you know where those three questions are from. I'm gonna take a few days to process through them. As for taking risks, you certainly can say you are speaking from experience.

Meg, yes that is Kenneth Burke. In fact, to solidify me in dorkdom, I joined the Kenneth Burke Society, but I am not real sure what they really do.

Gina Kay, you have been pursuing this idea for a while now. How does "risk" play out in your making decisions.

George, this is the second time you have used the a word that starts with "G" and ends in "irl-friend." Is this serious?

inverted banana dancer said...

the ol' death bed question....