Monday, September 22, 2008

Help!!!!! This is not a picture of Johnny Cash


I am a big dog lover.  We now have three dogs because we adopted one from the Animal Friends Humane Society, which is a wonderful place by the way.  

Johnny Cash (that's his name) is a great dog except for one major problem.  He consistently escapes our yard and runs around the neighborhood like a gangster.  Apparently, he is digging holes under the fence, and I have found all the holes and placed "obstacles" in front of them, such as stumps, logs, sheetrock, etc.

But he keeps getting out.

What can I do?  Does anyone out there have a solution?  We love the dog and do not want to give him away, but I spend way too much time in the day looking for Johnny Cash because he digs holes under my fence and runs the neighborhood crapping in other people's yards.  (Try taking that out of context)

Please help!!!

Someone from Cincinnati said to me this morning: "Hey, your dog is in my yard again."


5 comments:

inverted banana dancer said...

Hail Caesar!

Liz said...

My dog would love any opportunity to escape. My fix? I take her outside on a leash only. Now, I have no fenced yard right now, but I'd probably only let her out in the yard while supervised--that way if she began digging, I could discipline her while in the act.

You could also pay $$$$ to have your fence redone so that is goes deeper into the ground (say 6 ft or so). Or possibly invest in an electronic fence for "double" protection.

Good luck! Dogs are the best.

inverted banana dancer said...

A Dog Named Johnny Cash

Well my doggie left home at a quarter till three
And he didn’t leave much for Jen and Me
Just a chewed up frisbee and a dug up hole in the rear

Well I don’t blame him cause he dug and run
Be the meanest thing he ever done
He went and pooped on the neighbor’s lawn

Well he must of thought it was quiet a joke
Cause it upset some of my neighbor folk
Screaming and a cussing all over my subdivision

So I got on my blog to vent my ire
Typing and sending all over the wire
Hoping that soon I’d get a reply

Then two minutes later up on the screen
You’ll never believe what I seen
A reply to the blog that I had done post

It said “Hello there Master”
“I only got two paws, so I can’t type much faster
But that yard you got, Its just keeping me in”

"So I dug that hole and I said good by
I know you’d get upset and cry
But I’m a canine, and I need to run around"

"And now I’m here, just down the street
The house I’m in is kinda neat
But better yet there’s a sweet Pekinese"

"Now don’t you worry, and don’t you swear
I’ll still be home to shed some hair
But after a bone I’ll be running the town”

What could I do? What could I do?

So I sat there confused in a mental fog
I just been fooled by a rescued dog
And now he was telling me what to do

And I’ve thought about it then and now
How to wrangle that feisty bow-wow
But I’m gonna leave up to the bureaucrats

So I’ve cast my vote for the city’s animal cop
This township needs to make this stop
And if they don’t


I’m gonna get a cat, a bird, a hamster any damn thing but a ditch diggin' dog!

Steve Fuller said...

Ironically, the actual Johnny Cash had a similar problem.

And that song is kinda brilliant.

Michael Joseph Sharp said...

Thanks, Liz and Steve. I bought tent stakes to keep the fence down. Keep your fingers crossed.

Inverted banana dancer, you are talented. However, your name kind of worries me. What's up with that?