Tuesday, November 11, 2008

who has you, ... ear?




"It's not the voice that commands the story: it is the ear." ~ Italo Calvino, postmodern fiction writer.

What's this mean?  

I think Calvino is getting at very basic questions that I've been asking lately:  What am listening to?  Who am I listening to

I know that if I listen to the enemy, ... give him my ear, ... then I hear a very specific story:  I am too weak, too stupid, too old or too young, too alone, too afraid, too worn out, too broke, too shameful, too powerless, too beaten, too bought and sold, too fat, too addicted, too stubborn, too sinful, too diminished, too injured, too unconnected, too slighted, too third-rate, too ...

Giving my ear to Jesus tells a different story that has more to do with being free from all this stuff. 

Who/what are you listening to?  Are you hearing what God says you are?  Or, are you listening to what the enemy says you are?

Someone in Cincinnati is thinking: "Shhhhhhhh, ...  can you hear that?"


1 comment:

Kelly said...

I've been listening to God alot lately. It's funny though, the enemy leaves me alone for awhile, then it's like he attacks from every angle. I'm glad our God is so much bigger than anything Satan can do.