Sunday, October 12, 2008

this hurts me more than you


My son came to me with a splinter in his foot today. Actually, Jen brought him to me as he was screaming bloody murder. Long story short, we got the splinter out. But not before my son cried, squirmed, screamed, pleaded, moved, dodged, snorted, screamed again, etc., …tears and snot, …as I am trying to pry the tiny peace of wood out of his foot.

All he wanted me to do in that moment was stop what I was doing, …to leave his little foot alone. But, I love him too much and I knew that if the splinter stays, it would have gotten infected, and eventually hurt him more.

This experience made me wonder what splinters God will be pulling from my family, my community, and me.

Today, someone in Cincinnati said to lots of listeners: "It's important that you hear my heart."

2 comments:

jennifer sharp said...

It's amazing how something so small can cause so much agony. I truelly believe the removal of the splinter caused us (Mike and I) more pain than it did him. Hearing him scream and watching him kick, fight and pull only made me think of how much love we have have for him and how we would do anything to help him no matter how much it may seem to hurt.

jennifer sharp said...

It's amazing how something so small can cause so much agony. I truelly believe the removal of the splinter caused us (Mike and I) more pain than it did him. Hearing him scream and watching him kick, fight and pull only made me think of how much love we have have for him and how we would do anything to help him no matter how much it may seem to hurt.