Friday, January 15, 2010

evidence 2: crooked kisses

Devout evolutionists, particularly those with arms raised skyward in protest against the idea of an intelligent creator, posit that life has resulted in this blank and isolate universe due to a series of random evolutionary shifts in cosmically-charged biological and chemical interactions.

Devout creationists, particularly those with hands wedged deeply into their pockets (clutching tightly to their iPhones and blackberries) in protest against the idea of randomly-happening life, posit that our existence has resulted, within this largely blank and isolate universe, due to, in large part, “God.”

I am on a mission (or what some scientists may call an “experiment”) to figure out which belief is “more right.” I’m looking for data, and I’m starting from the assumption that every one of my encounters (interpersonal and intrapersonal, real and virtual) will fork-over stuff to help make sense of, … in this experimental case, … one of only two possible answers:

HYPOTHESES:

Ho: There is not an intelligent designer

H1: There is an intelligent designer

________

Evidence 2: Crooked Kisses:

I'm about 50% of the way through a book by Brennan Manning called "The Ragamuffin Gospel." In the beginning of chapter four, Manning points to another author's experiences. This other author is a medical doctor writing the following:

********

"I stand by the bed where a young women lies, her face postoperative, her mouth twisted in palsy, clownish. A tiny twig of the facial nerve, the one to the muscles of her mouth, has been severed. She will be thus from now on. The surgeon had followed with religious fervor the curve of her flesh; I promise you that. Nevertheless, to remove the tumor in her cheek, I had to cut the little nerve.

"Her young husband is in the room. He stands on the opposite side of the bed and together they seem to dwell in the evening lamplight, isolated from me, private. Who are they, I ask myself, he and this wry mouth I have made, who gaze at and touch each other so generously, greedily? The young woman speaks.

"Will my mouth always be like this?" she asks.

"Yes," I say, "it will. It is because the nerve was cut."

She nods and is silent. But the young man smiles.

"I like it," he says, "It is kind of cute."

"All at once I know who he is. I understand and I lower my gaze. One is not bold in an encounter with a god. Unmindful, he bends to kiss her crooked mouth and I am so close I can see how he twists his own lips to accommodate to hers, to show her that their kiss still works" (Manning, 1990, 2000).

********

So, what does this story mean? Is there evidence supporting Ho or H1 in this story? I believe there is evidence in everything, even this story.

I argue that this story offers evidence supporting H1: There IS an intelligent designer.

If humans were simply randomly occurring beasts, animals, and/or just simply randomly evolving chemical and biological material, how can we honestly account for the soul and heart illustrated in this love story? How can we make sense of this husband's love for his "damaged" wife?

We know, by looking around the animal kingdom, that damaged animals often suffer the fate of death because they are outcast and even purposely trampled upon for the cause of collectively bettering the species. The behavior of killing the irregular, or the sick or lame, ... this is a very normal practice in the animal kingdom. We find evidence of such in watching beings close to us in geniality (mammals) as well as those who are not so much like us at all.

So the question becomes, how do we make sense of acts that run in complete opposite to those of the animal kingdom? How can we explain the radically different ways that humans can impose LOVE atop biological determinism, the evolutionists' theory of natural selection and survival of the fittest?

There must be something different about us.

And even if we try to believe that, "well, this is just a story, it's fiction," ... does this mean the argument of intelligent design makes less sense? It is difficult to wonder what I would do in a situation similar to the one the story's husband is in, but even this question leads me to ask what kind of intelligent designer has made me in such a way that love, above all, makes sense.

This story illustrates how crooked kisses make us different, as if we are aliens in a broken world with an intelligent designer who has placed into our hearts the proclivity to let love win no matter how bad things can get.

It would appear that this experiment (“EVIDENCE 2010)” has, thus far, yielded the following results:

Ho: +1

H1: +1

Now before I go-off, "hand on the cross," proclaiming that intelligent design rules the day, more data should be gathered.

… and remember, this is all anonymous.

1 comment:

melanie said...

This has nothing to do with your post, but I was wondering how your daughter is doing.
We went to my parent's home on Christmas Eve and stopped by to drop off doughnuts for you, but no one was home. The only way that I remembered your address was because we had the whole discussion about 9-11 and double that being 922!