Thursday, October 1, 2009

sleepless in cincinnati




It's almost 12:00-noon on Thursday. I've already sucked down about four cups of coffee, but I am exhausted.

My wife has been taking "night-duty" with our baby-girl this first six weeks of her little life because she, my wife Jen, is still on maternity leave. I've gone back to work, so Jen is allowing me to sleep when Riley wakes up throughout the night ... to eat ... or because she has a dirty diaper ... or because she just wants to be held for a while.

And then last night happened.

Riley just wouldn't sleep, ... at all ... which is unusual. Jen typically sneaks in two or three hours in between waking-sessions, but last night was different. The little girl just wouldn't sleep, and she wouldn't stop crying unless she was being held. Her crying woke me up several times, so I decided to get out of bed to see what was happening in the nursery. I walked in the door, and Jen looked at me as if was on the verge of collapse. It was around 2:00 and she had been up all night, unable to even put the baby down for more than a few minutes.

She insisted I go back to bed. But I knew better.

So, I took baby-Riley out to the family room, and Jen went to bed to get at least a few hours of sleep. I laid back in the chair, Riley on my chest, and tried to get some sleep too, which worked "sort of." I'm still not sure why, but the little girl was just restless. She never really fell into a deep, consistent sleep, and neither did I.

(Now, please don't applaud me. Quite literally, I've been feeling sorry for myself all stinking day because I had to stay up ...just one night out of, ... hmmm, ... six weeks worth of nights! Save your applause for the worthy.)

Morning came. I went to the gym, then to work. And now I'm exhausted. But as I'm sitting here at my desk, working while listening to background music, ... a particular song, ... one that I've heard many, many times, ... comes on. It's the one in the video above.

And for the first time in my hearing it many, many times, ... I get it. I understand it.

And even though I'm still very tired, I wouldn't trade sleepless moments with my little girl snuggled on my chest for anything in the world.

Thanks, God.

3 comments:

Kelly said...

That song makes me cry every single time I hear it. Yes, Mike, enjoy every single moment of snuggle time that you can sleep, or no sleep. Because pretty soon she will be all grown up and you won't know where the time went.

Unknown said...

This is just beautiful. I can relate to all that you said since our first new born is a girl. Our Hala is now 25, precisely last Sept. 26, and she is now in charge of the Learning Support department in one of the biggest private schools in the country. I hope that Riley and Hala may be able to meet one day.God bless both.
Love Nujoud

Gina K said...

I agree with you Kelly, being the parent of a 20 and 22 year old.
Our 22yr old is a girl, she was very coliky for about 3 weeks. All those snuggle times were the best times ever! Enjoy each moment and each day with those kids as if it is the last.