Saturday, April 4, 2009

who was Jesus?


It has finally sunk in: I am in my thirties ... all grown up ... no longer staying up all night drinking beer ... no more leaving the bars when the sun is coming up ... no more playing music so loud that neighbors knock on my door ... no more sharing a funny cigarette with friends ... no longer dangerous with my decision-making ... no more living like a rock-star ... no turning back. I couldn't if I wanted to ... and I don't really want to.

How did I arrive at this epiphany, you ask?

I have DVRd (that's the DirecTV version of Tivo) 3 solid hours of high-definition programming for tomorrow night.  Do you think I've recorded some cool movie? Or maybe I've DVRd the UFC's next fight night? Perhaps a marathon night of "The Family Guy?" 

Nope. 

The Discovery Channel is airing 3 television documentaries Sunday night, all telling the story of Jesus' life. Here's the line up of the "Who Was Jesus" series:

8:00   -- a portrait of the early years of Jesus

9:00   -- experts examine the reality of the life and times of Jesus and what prompted him to act

10:00 -- an examination of the tense political climate of the times and the relationship between Jesus, the Jewish leaders and the Roman governors that led to his execution

Three solid hours of viewing pleasure.  Oh, and I'm still considering also recording (starting at 5:00):

Jesus: The Missing History
Exodus
Unwrapping the Shroud: New Evidence

... but that may be taking it too far, no?  As I sit here and write this blog post, I'm left with the following idea/question floating around in my head:

Jesus Christ, what in the hell has happened to me!?!?


4 comments:

Elaine said...

I hear you on that one!

Paul said...

You are looking at this the wrong way! The pursuit of knowledge is what keeps us young. When we choose to stop learning, that is when we grow old as our brains rot to ignorance.
I'd say for every hour of education you lose one year of age. Three hours of educational TV makes you three years younger!

Kelly said...

I was going to tune in anyway, but being 3 years younger afterward is a no brainer for me!! I hear what you are saying though. When I think about who I used to be-which sounds much like who you used to be, it makes me wonder. But is also makes God's love for us seem that much more magnificent and powerful.

HM2 said...

So anyway yo can upload the copy of that moviee or send me a copy? I'll paypal u some money if need be